We’re here to help.

You’ve got questions and we have answers. Can’t find a resource that you’re looking for? We’re just a phone call away.


• Why is the replacement cost on my building so high?

Replacement cost is a calculation estimating how much a contractor would charge an insurance company to rebuild the home in the event of a loss. This calculation has been estimated from the amount insurance companies have paid to replace or repair homes of equal size and quality. Replacement cost factors in the cost to remove all damaged material from the construction site resulting in the sizeable cost of getting the property ready to be rebuilt. On top of that, insurance claims are always unexpected, forcing contractors to pay a higher cost in materials and labour than they would building a number of homes at one time as in a subdivision. Visit our Home Insurance and contact your broker for more information.

Have any questions feel free to Contact Us.

• Who can drive my vehicle?

You can lend your vehicle to anyone with a valid driver’s licence1 and your permission to drive the vehicle. Be aware, if you lend your car, you lend your insurance. Other drivers of your vehicle can seriously affect your insurance rates should a claim occur. If an individual does not have their own auto insurance coverage, your policy will be the sole provider of compensation. All licensed drivers in the household must be listed on your policy, shown to be listed on a policy, or be specifically excluded from driving the vehicles. So remember, if you lend your car to someone and that driver causes an accident, at fault or not, that accident is charged to your policy. It’s as though you were driving the vehicle yourself.

1To validate a driver’s license, you can call 1-900-565-6555 (subject to a service fee).

Have any questions feel free to Contact Us.

• What should my liability limit be?

We recommend a minimum liability limit of $2,000,000. This coverage protects you for your legal liability for bodily injury to others or damage to property of others arising out of your premises or your personal actions. It will pay for legitimate claims against you or other insured persons up to the limit of your coverage, and the cost of settling claims.

Have any questions feel free to Contact Us.

• What can I do to reduce my insurance costs?

There are many discounts that can be applied to your insurance. Talk to your broker to make sure you are receiving all of the discounts you are eligible for. Additionally, you can decrease your premium by increasing your deductibles. Make certain that you are prepared to pay that increased deductible in the event of a loss. Speak to your broker to learn more about your various options with deductibles.

Have any questions feel free to Contact Us.

• What should new drivers know about insurance?

There are many opportunities to save as a new driver. Driver’s education provides you with a starting rating of 3 which credits you with three years of driving experience. This will result in a lower premium. In addition, discounts are available for drivers who receive their G2 and G licences so make sure to keep your broker up-to-date on your driving status. New drivers should also avoid distracted driving. Distracted driving can occur any time a driver’s attention is taken away from where they should be focusing their concentration — the driving task. Driver distractions include: cell phone calls and texts, eating, drinking, changing a CD or fiddling with radio dials, talking to a passenger, experiencing emotional distress, personal grooming, and looking at billboards or even other vehicles on the road. Drive safely by keeping your eyes on the road, your hands on the wheel and an appropriate focus on your driving.

Have any questions feel free to Contact Us.

• Should I insure my children on their own policy or add them to mine?

It is often less expensive to insure your children under your policy if they are an occasional driver rather than the principal driver of a vehicle. If your child gets traffic tickets or has an accident your premium will go up as a result. It may be in your best interest if they are the principal driver for them to have their own policy.

Have any questions feel free to Contact Us.

• If I am going on vacation and/or my dwelling is going to be vacant what should I do?

If you are going on vacation or leaving your dwelling vacant, you should make sure your dwelling is checked regularly for unforeseen circumstances. You should also make sure to speak to your broker to determine if your insurance needs to change, and should carefully review your policy wordings to ensure you keep your coverage active by meeting all insurance company requirements.

Have any questions feel free to Contact Us.

• What does property insurance usually cover?

It depends on the type of property you are insuring, whether it is a home, condominium or apartment. If you own a house, your property insurance will cover the house itself and any detached structures (e.g. garages). You can choose to insure your house against most unexpected situations, or only against situations specified in your policy. Your property insurance will also cover your personal belongings which include: jewellery, artwork, furniture, computers, carpets and more. If you have a large amount of high-valued items you may need to purchase additional coverage to ensure you will be fully reimbursed. Talk to your broker to discuss your needs and learn about your options. Most property insurance policies also include third party liability if somebody is injured while on your property.

Have any questions feel free to Contact Us.

• Does my policy cover all water losses?

In general, your policy is written to provide coverage for any sudden, accidental and unforeseen water damage losses. However there are some causes that may be excluded so make sure to review your policy with your broker.

Have any questions feel free to Contact Us.

Report a claim to your broker directly or call 1-800-465-7797 for our 24/7 claims service.

What to expect during the claims process:

  • Call Gillons directly to report a claim
    1-800-465-7797 | 24/7 claims service
  • An adjuster from the company you are insured with will reach out to you directly to gather all the necessary information.
  • The Adjuster will be your main point of contact throughout your claims process and will guide you each step of the way. You may reach out to your broker at Gillons at any time as well should you need further assistance.

Common Terms

Brokerage (Gillons)

Gillons is your first touch point and we handle the intake should you need to report a claim.


After reporting a claim directly to your broker or calling our number, you will be set up with an Adjuster through your insurance company. They will be your go-to for your entire claims process.


Your Adjuster will work with an appraiser to assess the damage and determine the repair or replacement cost. Normally, you will not need to be in contact with the Appraiser, your adjuster will handle all communication.

Restoration Company or Repair Garage

Your Adjuster and Appraiser will work with a Restoration Company or a Repair Garage to determine the damage to your vehicle or property (depending on the claim). Your Adjuster will inform you of what steps to take in getting your vehicle or property fixed.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec mauris ante, aliquam a sapien vitae, gravida ornare libero. Maecenas consectetur dapibus justo porttitor ornare. Mauris consectetur consequat vulputate. Donec cursus ex bibendum libero euismod sollicitudin a eget risus. Sed a pulvinar dolor. Nam eleifend quam ut elit dignissim, ut tempus elit mattis. Pellentesque dapibus pretium lectus vel vestibulum. Quisque et quam convallis, rhoncus libero sit amet, feugiat dui. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Sed quis interdum nulla. Integer in tempus purus. In imperdiet congue malesuada. Proin pulvinar sed nisl id ullamcorper. Nulla id purus quis diam volutpat pharetra. Phasellus eget risus ut nisl iaculis laoreet. Sed accumsan tellus nunc, viverra lobortis lacus tincidunt eu.

Fusce et nunc volutpat, egestas tortor sit amet, pretium felis. Pellentesque interdum bibendum nulla quis sagittis. Praesent et nunc malesuada, dapibus elit at, molestie leo. Vivamus feugiat, nunc et pulvinar imperdiet, sapien dolor pretium dolor, nec cursus orci nibh vel nibh. Integer dapibus nisl at odio pellentesque malesuada. Sed in lobortis tortor, vitae varius velit. Aenean vestibulum justo nulla, quis posuere quam semper fermentum. Fusce feugiat orci quam, tempor sollicitudin nibh eleifend ut. Quisque bibendum posuere mauris, sit amet tincidunt mi tincidunt sed.