Auto Insurance

Drive safely knowing you are properly covered.

Request a Quote

Auto Insurance

• Purchasing vehicle from dealership

  • If you have existing auto insurance, it helps the process to notify your broker ahead of time of your plan to purchase another vehicle.
  • If you do not have any auto insurance in place, you will have to call or book an appointment with a broker first.
  • The dealership doesn’t always let your existing broker or insurance company know that you are in the process of purchasing a vehicle. The onus is on you to inform your broker when adding or removing vehicles to your policy.
    • What you need to provide your broker for new vehicle insurance:
      • The Bill of Sale from the dealership
      • Vehicle Registration. The dealership usually goes through this process with you. In order to complete the registration process, your policy information must be provided to the dealership.
    • If is it a used vehicle from a dealership, some insurance companies will request a copy of the safety
    • You will be given an up to date liability card showing the new vehicle’s information. This must be kept in your vehicle with the vehicle registration.

      • The onus is on you to make sure your broker has all the necessary documentation such as the bill of sale, registration and anything else your broker has specified is required.
      • * If you are purchasing a vehicle outside of Ontario, advise your broker beforehand.

The dealership usually can provide temporary 7 day insurance to give you time to register your vehicle in Ontario, but your broker will be able to recommend the easiest process for getting your vehicle insured in Ontario.

• Transferring or gifting a vehicle to immediate family

Transferring a vehicle either parent to child or spouse to spouse . Check the MTO requirements regarding if the vehicle needs a safety.

  • An auto insurance policy will need to be set up in the new owner’s name
  • The new owner needs to provide their driver’s license, and vehicle information to the broker so they can discuss coverage options and new policy details. The broker can then quote and print the necessary paperwork and application for the new owner to sign and bind coverage
  • A temporary liability card will be issued to the new owner to bring along with the signed over ownership to Service Ontario so you may register the vehicle in the new owner’s name
  • The previous owner needs to inform their broker that the vehicle has been transferred and needs to be removed from their policy

• Purchasing a vehicle privately

  • Advise your broker of your plan to purchase a vehicle privately. If you already have an auto policy in place, we can issue a temporary liability card. If you do not have insurance in place you will need to provide your broker with your driver’s license and VIN number/vehicle information
  • The vehicle must have a safety inspection in order to obtain insurance. A garage with a mechanic authorized to issue safety inspections can provide this. A safety inspection is only valid for 30 days so the vehicle must be transferred within this time period.
  • Bring the temporary liability card, the safety and the bill of sale to Service Ontario to register the vehicle in your name. The bill of sale can be a signed form from the seller with the transfer details, date and value which the vehicle is being sold for
  • MTO will require a used vehicle package, which they can assist with
  • You will pay HST at the MTO when transferring the vehicle into your name

Did you know if you lend your vehicle you lend your insurance?

Make sure your policy properly covers everyone who is driving your vehicle.

If you have somebody living in your household and they do not have insurance of their own and they have regular access to the vehicle, they are required be listed as a driver

If you own multiple vehicles and a person who does not live in your household has regular use of the vehicle, you are required to add them as a driver. For example, you have children who reside elsewhere but use one of your vehicles as a daily driver.

Every situation is different; please contact your broker to discuss.

Within the realm of what you should be towing behind your vehicle, the liability extends to trailers that you are towing, but not the physical damage coverages. However you must insure towed items for physical damage.

You do not need a liability card for the trailer. Trailers should always be inspected to make sure break lights are fully functioning.

There are a variety of situations where commercial auto insurance is required and vehicles should not be insured on a personal auto policy if there is a potential commercial/business use. Contact your broker for advice on what type of policy you need.